Avgolemono is a comforting Greek chicken, lemon, egg, and rice soup. It boosts the immune system, comforts, and is creamy and satisfying. It can be vegetarian and only takes 30 minutes and one pot to make.
This recipe also finishes and brightens up the soup with a Single Estate, or any olive oil of your choosing for good healthy fats and polyphenols to make you better!
- 8 cups good quality chicken or vegetable stock or broth
- 1 cup rice or orzo, not cooked
- 2 large shallots, or 1 medium onion diced
- 1/2 cup diced carrots, optional
- 1/2 cup diced celery, optional
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large fresh eggs
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, leftover cooked turkey, leftover rotisserie chicken, or tofu
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons Single Estate Olive Oil, or any olive oil
- Lots of fresh cracked pepper and sea salt to taste
- In a large stockpot, heat 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion, garlic, and vegetables. Sauté until soft, approximately 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, protein, bay leaf, and rice/orzo to the pot and bring to a simmer for approximately 30 minutes, or until the rice/orzo is very tender, and the soup is slightly thickened.
- In a heat proof bowl whisk together eggs and lemon juice; then add one cup of hot stock to the egg and lemon mixture and whisk constantly. Add the egg and lemon mixture back into the stockpot while stirring constantly.
- The soup will instantly thicken and become somewhat creamy. Simmer for an additional minute over medium heat stirring constantly. Remove bay leaf, taste and adjust seasoning with additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve each bowl with a healthy drizzle of your Olive Oil.