Chipotle Turkey Stuffed Peppers
- 4 large red or orange bell peppers
- 2 Tbsp Chipotle Olive Oil (plus extra for drizzling on top)
- 1 lb ground turkey meat
- 1/2 onion, chopped finely
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- ½ cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup salsa (mild, medium or spicy)
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp. cream cheese
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup shredded cheddar or marble cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350˚F.
- Cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise and set on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat the Chipotle Olive Oil and add the ground turkey. Cook until no longer pink and all liquid (if any) has evaporated. The turkey should begin to turn golden brown. Add the onion, and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the corn, black beans, salsa, chili powder, cumin, cream cheese, salt and pepper. Stir well and until all cream cheese is incorporated into the meat mixture. Take off heat and cool.
- Carefully Spoon the meat mixture evenly into the bell pepper halves. Top each half with shredded cheese and then drizzle with additional Chipotle Olive Oil.
- Bake for 20 minutes, covered. Remove cover and bake an additional 10 minutes. Serve with chopped avocado, sour cream and additional salsa.
Note: this recipe can be made vegetarian by substituting the turkey meat with crumbled tofu, or any soy based meat alternative. You may use ground beef instead of turkey if that is preferred.