Roasted Tomato Sauce
- 8 fresh tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup of your favourite medium strength Single Estate Olive Oil
- 4-6 sprigs of fresh oregano
- Salt and pepper
- A bunch of fresh basil
- Additional Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and place in a large bowl. Add the garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Drizzle with the Olive Oil and toss.
- Place the tomatoes on a cookie sheet cut side down.
- Bake for 30 minutes and remove from oven. Let cool a few minutes and then peel the tomatoes (be careful as they will be hot!)
- Place the tomatoes back in the oven for another 30 minutes, or until the tray is mostly dry.
- Take the tray out and place the tomatoes and everything else on the tray in a bowl and blend with a hand blender (or a potato masher if you prefer a chunky sauce)
- Add the basil, more salt and pepper to taste, and drizzle with additional olive oil.
Note: Serve over pasta with Parmesan cheese, or over chicken breasts topped with mozzarella and bake for an easy mid week meal!