Mushroom and Garlic Risotto
- 1 Cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 1/2 Cups boiling water
- 1/2 Cup chopped onions
- 2 Tblsp plus 2 Tblsp garlic olive oil
- 2 Cups arborio rice
- 1 Cup dry white wine
- 6-8 Cups good vegetable broth
- 1/4 Cup butter
- 1/2 Cup or so fresh grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1-2 Tbsp black truffle balsamic
- In a small bowl soak the porcini mushrooms in the boiling water and set aside for 5 minutes or so. Carefully remove the mushrooms and chop roughly. Strain the mushroom liquid through a coffee filter to be sure all the grit is out and then set the liquid aside.
- In another med soup pot, heat up the broth to simmering.
- Meanwhile heat 2 Tbsp garlic olive oil in a medium Dutch oven or a thick bottomed pot. Add onions and stir until onions are just translucent. Add the rice and stir until the rice begins to turn translucent.
- Add the wine and stir until all the wine is absorbed. Add the mushroom liquid and stir until all liquid is absorbed. Add the mushrooms. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add a ladle full of broth and stir until all liquid is absorbed. Continue this process until the rice is "creamy" but still has some bite, or to your desired consistency.
- Turn off heat and add the butter stirring until melted. Add Parmesan cheese and drizzle with 2 Tbsp garlic olive oil and drizzle or dark truffle balsamic.
- To make the garlic toast, brush a piece of crusty bread with garlic olive oil and grill until crispy.